- 1/2 LARGE ONION, ROUGHLY CHOPPED (ABOUT 1 CUP)
- 1 CUP DRIED CHICKPEAS
- 2 TABLESPOONS FINELY CHOPPED FRESH CILANTRO
- 2 TABLESPOONS FINELY CHOPPED FRESH PARSLEY
- 1 TEASPOON SALT
- 4 GARLIC COLVES
- 1/2 TEASPOON DRIED RED PEPPER
- 1 TEASPOON CUMIN
- 1 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
- 4-6 TABLESPOONS GLUTEN FREE FLOUR
- VEGETABLE OIL OR SOYBEAN OIL FOR FRYING
- DICED ONION FOR GARNISH
- CHOPPED TOTATO FOR GARNISH
- DICED GREEN PEPPER FOR GARNISH
- 1 CUP UNCOOKED QUINOA
- 2 BUNCHES FRESH MINT ( 1 CUP MINCED)
- 2 BUNCHES FLAT LEAF PARSLEY (1/2 CUP MINCED)
- 3 FRESH TOMATOES
- 1/4 CUP FRESHLY SQUEEZED LEMON JUICE
- 1/4 CUP FRESHLY CHOPPED ONION
- 1/4 CUP EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 3/4 TSP SALT
- ICE BERG LETTUCE CUPS
TAHINI SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 125 G TAHINI ( 1/2 CUP)
- 1 GARLIC CLOVE, CRUSHED
- LEMON JUICE ( 1 LEMON )
- 1/4 TEASPOON PAPRIKA
- 1/4 TEASPOON HIMILAYAN SALT
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover them at least 2 inches. Allow the chickpeas to soak overnight, then drain.
- Place drained , uncooked chickpeas and the onions in a food processor. Add in the cilantro, parsley, salt, hot pepper, cumin and garlic. Process until blended. Blend lightly. Don’t over blend. Allow mixture to keep texture. Blend but not purred..
- Sprinkle in the baking powder and 4 tablespoons of gluten free flour, and pulse. Place in a bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Form the chickpea mixture into balls using a falafel scoop. Preheat your deep fryer and place about 6 falafel balls in tray. Place falafel in deep fryer and allow them to fry for about 5 minutes. Check in between the process to make sure they don’t over fry. Fry until they are a golden brown.
- Boil 2 cups of vegan vegetable broth in a medium sauce pan. Once broth is boiling, add in quinoa. Allow quinoa to cook for another 25 minutes covered and on medium heat. Once all moisture has disappeared remove from stove and allow it to cool down.
- In a medium sized bowl, place minced parsley and mint. Add in lemon juice, salt and olive oil. Dice tomatoes into small pieces and add them in.
- Add in the cooked quinoa to the bowl containing the green herbs and chopped tomatoes. Add in finely chopped onion. Stir gently to combine it all with the olive oil and lemon juice dressing.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desires. You may also add in finely minced garlic to your tabbouleh.
TAHINI SAUCE INSTRUCTIONS
- In the blender add in tahini, garlic, lemon juice, paprika and Himalayan salt. Blend until it’s a smooth texture.
FALAFEL WRAP INSTRUCTIONS
- Scoop tabbouleh into lettuce and add in the falafel balls. Add a little bit of the tahini sauce and enjoy 🙂